How to Choose Your Video Surveillance System
Video surveillance is being upgraded. Wired or wireless, they integrate new functionalities linked to the advent of new communication technologies: the possibility to control your installation on the Internet, intrusion alert on your mobile phone.
Traditional equipment has also been improved. Some, for example, are equipped with outdoor sirens with flashes that signal the house in which the offence is taking place.
Before equipping yourself with a video surveillance system, you must evaluate your needs by asking yourself the right questions.
Estimate the Risks
Video Surveillance Deterrent System
Not every place will be equipped with the same system. You must first assess your needs and the actual risks to your home, business or trade.
If your activity or the geographical location of your establishment is not attractive to burglars, you can opt for a dissuasive system (less expensive), with an alarm:
– This is the classic protection system for properties or businesses in close proximity to other homes: otherwise, your alarm will not be of much use.
– Thanks to its intrusion detector, its siren disturbs most burglars (95% of them) who then flee.
– It also sends an alert to a remote central station. You can also choose to be alerted at the same time.
For about $3 000, you can have a dissuasive alarm system:
– you can choose between a wired alarm system;
– or a wireless system, which works by radio waves.
Video Surveillance With Alarm Control
In the opposite case, if your business is attractive such as jewellery or high-tech shops, it is better to opt for video surveillance with alert control which will send you a preventive message in case of a problem:
– The cameras, equipped with motion detectors and an alarm system, are installed at different locations in your home or business.
– The video surveillance system warns the central station, your neighbours, your relatives or yourself in case of intruder presence on your property.
– The device is operational 24 hours a day and you can access it at any time, from your mobile phone or laptop, in real-time.
Please note: you should not program either the policy holder’s number or the number of relatives living too far away from your home, as they would not be able to act quickly.
Video Surveillance With Alarm Control
For a monthly budget ranging from $15 to $100 per month, you will have access to the video surveillance system with alert control:
– The equipment is provided, which saves you additional costs.
– On the other hand, if you purchase a security system, the labour for the installation requires an extra charge of about $100.
– Good to know: the travel costs of the patrol are around $75, regardless of whether there is a burglary or not.
– In the event of a power cut, freezer malfunction, flooding or risk of frost, you will be notified immediately wherever you are.
Please note: it will also cost you around $100 to uninstall. Some remote surveillance companies offer this as part of their all-inclusive package.
Choose Between a Wired or Wireless Camera Reliability of Wired Cameras
Wired cameras are known to be more reliable than wireless cameras because they are interference-free. They are highly recommended in rooms larger than 100 m² because the throughput is better.
However, wired cameras require more work and therefore more installation expenses. Wiring can be both unsightly and impractical since some wired links are subject to distance restrictions: the camera cannot be installed too far from the router.
Tip: If you have the budget and are renovating or building your premises, take the opportunity to install wired cameras before the walls are finished.
Wireless Camera: For Added Convenience
Wireless cameras are very successful in the remote surveillance market because they are discreet. They are very easy to install, but also very sensitive: beware however of false alarms. But, they tend to get better and better, the newer models have better and better throughput.
Think About Permissions for Your Video Surveillance System
You will need to seek authorizations from legal bodies in your area for the installation of your video surveillance system.
A request for authorization must be made if your surveillance cameras are:
– for a public place;
– for a private place, if the cameras are filming a part of the public road;
The authorization is issued for a period of 5 years renewable, but the simple installation of an alarm is not subject to this obligation.
Good to know: if the video surveillance system is networked and covers several departments, the request must be addressed to the department in which the head office is located.
If you wish, we can put you in touch with one or more video surveillance specialists. They will be able to offer you a free, no-obligation quote.
Remember to write down your comments in the section below.