Remote Security Monitoring System: Operation and Parameter Setting of Your Alarm
How Does Remote Monitoring Work?
The installation of a remote monitoring system ensures the security of a remote room. Monitoring is ensured by sensors, an alarm and a telephone transmitter that provides the link with the remote monitoring company.
How Your Home Is Monitored Remotely
To benefit from remote surveillance, the beneficiary signs a contract with a remote surveillance company and pays a monthly subscription.
When an intrusion takes place (burglary, for example) or the sensors detect smoke (fire), the alarm is transmitted to the remote monitoring centre via a telephone transmitter triggered by the alarm.
The remote monitoring company carries out the instructions in the remote monitoring contract:
– removal of doubt: an agent makes a telephone call on the home or business telephone;
– to invalidate the reported problem, a person must answer the call and issue a secret code: in this case, the procedure is cancelled;
– if the telephone is busy, rings empty or the secret code is invalid, the procedure is initiated:
◦ the security company will contact the person(s) mentioned in the contract to inform them of the problem;
◦ if this option has been subscribed: a security agent is sent on-site for verification;
◦ if the problem is confirmed (fire, burglary…), he contacts the competent authorities.
Remote Surveillance Sensors for All Cases
The remote monitoring system is composed of:
– an alarm connected to a remote surveillance company by telephone transmitter.
There are different types of sensors adapted to all situations:
◦ motion detectors;
◦ opening detectors;
◦ glass breakage detectors;
◦ beam presence detectors;
◦ sound sensors;
◦ animal detectors: allows the compatibility of an animal with a remote surveillance system.
– fire safety:
◦ heat detectors;
◦ smoke detectors (mandatory in all dwellings from March 2015);
– elderly or medical security
◦ motion detectors;
◦ video surveillance…
– anti-aggression (shops): transmitter or video surveillance.
These detectors can be installed inside or outside the secured place.
Remote Surveillance System: Compatible With All Types of Lines
When the alarm goes off, the telephone transmitter transmits the alert to the computer system of the monitoring company.
This telephone transmitter is connected to the central station by a telephone line that can be:
– a conventional landline;
– an ADSL (Internet) line;
– a GSM (radio) link.
Parameter Setting of Your Alarm
Precisely set up the system according to your lifestyle, your movements around the house and your pets.
Principle of Alarm Settings
The principle of an alarm is to signal any “abnormal” presence, not to start screaming as soon as someone crosses the landing or opens the bedroom window.
– It is, therefore, necessary to feed the alarm in the most relevant and complete way possible so that it can distinguish an authorized, normal presence from an intruding, abnormal presence.
– A badly set alarm will either not be triggered in case of an intrusion or will be triggered too often, without any real basis, and will end up tiring instead of alerting. In both cases, it loses all effectiveness.
– To set the alarm correctly, you must first take into account the presence of pets in your home.
What is their size and which rooms do they have to pass through (especially in the evening).
The Possibilities Offered by the Alarm Setting
Sophisticated alarm systems make it possible to:
– classify certain rooms in the house into sensitive areas.
The sensitivity of the alarm in the living room, where all your silverware is located, will thus be increased, unlike, for example, the kitchen, which does not contain any real valuables and which you can get through the night in case of a small snack.
– Timing your time of passage in a room or your time of occupancy of a room.
◦ Any exceeding of time will be signalled (which does not mean that it will trigger an alarm, it often takes several alerts, several signals giving the same information for the alarm to be triggered).
◦ For example, if you open your front door, you have 15 seconds before you go to the control panel to deactivate the alarm. If you do not, the alarm will go off. These 15 seconds are part of the settings to be made.
If you wish, we can put you in touch with one or more remote surveillance specialists. They will be able to provide you with a free, no-obligation quote.
For more information, discover the world of HOME SECURITY DOMOTIC through our blog. From choosing between Video Surveillance to telling you the Little Secrets the Locksmith Keeps to Himself, there is a plethora of articles to read and apply in your house.
Remember to drop down your comments in the section below!